WOW0821240209BLCLJLLLML

My Cart
Checkout Secure
5 Toxic Springtime Plants For Dogs

Many gardeners and homeowners are surprised to learn that certain, beautiful, traditional spring flowers are potentially harmful to their beloved furry pal.

Tulips and Hyacinths

Tulips contain an allergen called lactones. Lactones are derived from chemical compounds. Hyacinths also contain the same allergen compound. The bulbs of these plants are the ones that are toxic for dogs. 

Symptoms of tulips and hyacinths poisoning:

  • Mouth and esophageal irritation
  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Diarrhea
  • Increase in heart rate
  • Breathing changes

An immediate treatment is needed if your dog has ingested the bulbs of these plants. There is no antidote for this kind of poisoning so your dog must be brought to your veterinarian right away.

 

Daffodils

Daffodils contain an alkaloid called lycorine. If your dog licks or eats any part of a daffodil plant, such as the bulb, plant or the flower, the lycorine present in the plant will irritate the tissues in his and throat and will cause excessive drooling.

Other symptoms of daffodil poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Diarrhea
  • Heart and respiratory problems (a much serious case) 

These severe symptoms require an immediate attention by a veterinarian.

 

Crocuses

Spring crocuses are members of the Iridaceae family. Spring crocuses, when ingested by your dog can cause gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, and vomiting.

On the other hand, the crocus that blooms in autumn is known to be as the Meadow Saffron. Meadow Saffron is highly toxic to dogs.

Symptoms of Meadow Saffron crocus poisoning:

  • Severe vomiting
  • Gastrointestinal bleeding
  • Liver and kidney damage
  • Respiratory failure

Symptoms of poisoning from this plant can appear immediately up to several days later.

 

Lily of the Valley

The compound in a lily of the valley plant that is toxic to dogs is called cardiac glycosides.

Symptoms of lily of the valley poisoning are:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • A drop in heart rate
  • Severe cardiac arrhythmia
  • Seizures 

If you think that your dog has ingested lily of the valley, then you should bring him to your veterinarian immediately for an evaluation.

 

Fertilized Plants

The fertilizer that you use on your plants can be just as dangerous, or even much worse, than the plants themselves. If you love gardening during springtime, then you should be aware of what fertilizer compounds are potentially poisonous to your dogs.

Most fertilizers don't cause major gastrointestinal symptoms if ingested, however, there are a few fertilizers that are available in the market that you should watch out for.

Some of the harmful compounds that are possibly present in your fertilizers are:

  • Bone meal - bone meal contains animal bones that were ground down into powder form. It will create a very huge, hard mass in your dog stomach once ingested. It can obstruct his digestive tract and may require surgery.
  • Blood meal - blood meal contains nitrogen which can cause an inflammation of your dog's pancreas. Other problems that your dog may encounter are vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Rose and plant fertilizers - These fertilizers contain a type of organophosphate called disulfoton. A small amount of disulfoton can kill a good size dog.

Signs of organophosphate poisoning are the following:

  • Tearing of the eyes
  • Salivation
  • Loss of bladder and bowel control
  • Respiratory problems
  • Hyperthermia
  • Seizures

Should you suspect your dog to have ingested these harmful compounds, then bring him to your veterinarian immediately. These situations need an immediate treatment from a professional as the results of these poisoning are life-threatening. Always keep an eye on your dog to avoid a poisoning situation.

 


Older Post Newer Post



Added to cart!