8 Foods That Could Potentially Kill Your Dog

8 Foods That Could Potentially Kill Your Dog

The most important thing about pet care is knowing what to or what not to feed them. As long as you're providing them a healthy diet composed of nutritious meals and giving them occasional treats, everything should be good right? However, take note that not all foods that are safe for human consumption are also safe for dogs. Be mindful of what your dog eats as some foods may be fatal to them.


1. Avocado

Avocado's toxicity for pets has been a long debate as some pet owners claim that they haven't seen any fatal results from their dogs that have eaten it. However, prevention is still better than cure. Avocado's toxic levels depend on its variety. So you better keep that guacamole treat from your dog.


What's In it:
Avocados have something called persin. It is also present in the leaves, seed, and bark of an avocado.

What It Can Do:
Dogs that have ingested the toxin from avocados can suffer from upset stomach, fluid buildup in the chest, and breathing difficulties. The most dangerous thing for them is if they swallowed the pit as it can lead to obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract.

2. Xylitol

Xylitol is a sweetener usually found in some products found in your home including toothpaste, candy, baked goods and gum. Keep an eye on your dogs as they might try and sneak some of these.


What's In It:
Xylitol itself is very dangerous for dog consumption.

What It Can Do:
Xylitol, when ingested by dogs can cause a dangerous surge of insulin which can lead to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs include vomiting, lethargy, and coordination problems. This can progress to seizures and liver failure can happen in just a few days.


3. Chocolate

Chocolate has been widely known to be bad for dogs. The most dangerous types of chocolate for them are dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate. You should take an extra effort in hiding those sweet treats, not just from humans but also from dogs as well.


What's In It:
Chocolate contains theobromine which falls under the methylxanthines category. It is present in all kinds of chocolate, including white chocolate. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is for dogs.

What It Can Do:
Chocolate may cause a dog to vomit, have diarrhea and heart problems. It may also lead to seizures and death.

4. Onions

While onions are pretty staples when cooking our favorite savory dishes, it does more harm than good to dogs. A small dose for dogs is probably fine, but eating a lot just once can cause poisoning.


What's In It:
There are certain compounds present in onions that can be harmful to dogs if ingested in large doses.

What It Can Do:
The harmful compounds in onions can kill a dog's red blood cells, causing anemia. It may cause them to become weaker and move around less. If a lot of onions were consumed, a blood transfusion may be needed.


5. Garlic

Since garlic is part of the onion family, it's also considered dangerous for dog consumption. While it adds extra flavor to our foods, it can be potentially harmful to dogs regardless of its form (powdered, raw, cooked, or dehydrated).


What's In It:
Garlic contains compounds that are even stronger than the compounds found in onions in terms of toxicity. It's even more dangerous to dogs than onions per ounce.

What It Can Do:
Just like onions, garlic consumption will affect the dog's red blood cells. Initial signs will not appear for a few days, but the dog will be tired and reluctant to move. The dog's urine might turn to orange and/or dark red in color. A blood transfusion is also needed depending on the severity of the case.

6. Milk And Other Dairy Products

Just like humans, dogs can also suffer from lactose intolerance. So if you're planning to feed your dog some ice cream on a hot day, then better to give him an ice cube instead.


Milk And Other Dairy Products


What's In It:
Dogs don't have the enzymes needed to break down milk sugar found in milk.

What It Can Do:
Milk and other dairy products can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and other gastrointestinal problems. While it's not immediately fatal, dogs become more prone to get a serious bacterial exposure that could eventually lead to life-threatening diseases. It can also trigger food allergies, causing the dogs to itch.


7. Grapes and Raisins

Who doesn't like to munch on grapes and raisins? However, it is better to keep those to yourself as grapes and raisins can be fatal to dogs.

Grapes and Raisins

What's In It:
There are certain chemicals and compounds found in grapes and raisins that cause toxicity to dogs. Consumption of these can lead to pretty devastating results.

What It Can Do:
Consumption of these can cause rapid kidney failure to dogs. While results may vary between dogs, symptoms may not show up in them. Dogs can also develop diarrhea, dehydration, lack of appetite and vomiting. Death from kidney failure may occur in just a matter of three to four days.


8. Salt and Other Salty Foods

Consuming a large amount of salty foods like chips or pretzels is just as bad to dogs as it is to humans. However, it is rather more life-threatening to dogs as it can lead to poisoning.

Salt and Other Salty Foods

What's In It:
Eating too much salt can result into excessive thirst and urination for the dog. This can even lead to sodium ion poisoning.

What It Can Do:
Vomiting, depression, elevated body temperatures and tremors are just some of the signs that your dogs may have if they have eaten too much salt. This can potentially lead to seizures and worst, even death.

If you suspect your dogs to have ingested some of these and have noticed that they are not particularly well, then go immediately to your nearest veterinarian. Your furry friends should be treated immediately as prolonged exposure can lead to death.

It is also worth noting that each dog's reaction to these foods differs from each other. Overall, just avoid or keep them from these foods for precautionary measures.

Back to blog