A lot of pet owners have experienced how it's like to catch their pet gobbling up on something that they shouldn't. It is really terrifying especially when you discover that your pet has ingested something that is poisonous to their health.
During winter times, pets tend to be indoors more. They can become bored with their daily routine and since most pets are already curious as they are, worst case is, they might gobble up on something that can potentially harm them. Your purse, when left unattended where contents are exposed, can be an easy target for them.
Here are the top 5 of the most common poisonous purse contents for dogs.
1. Sugarless Chewing Gum And Breath Mints (Xylitol)
Many sugarless gums and mints contain Xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is highly toxic to dogs. When ingested, xylitol can be deadly to dogs. It can cause a rapid crash in the blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and a large amount of it can cause liver failure. If you suspect your dog to have ingested this, then contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison helpline immediately.
Symptoms of Xylitol poisoning:
Most common sugarless gum brands that contain Xylitol include Orbit, Ice Breaker, and Trident.
2. Human Medications
A small vial where your pills are usually placed comes very handy. However, this can also catch the attention of your curious dog. Not only does it resembles like your dogs chew toys, it also creates a rattling sound when chewed that most dogs would find fascinating.
Both over-the-counter and prescription drugs are harmful when ingested by dogs.
Over-the -counter painkillers like Advil, Tylenol, Motrin and prescription drugs for depression such as Effexor and Prozac, can be toxic to dogs.
Signs and symptoms that a dog has ingested one of these medications include:
- Loss of coordination
3. Asthma inhalers (Albuterol and Fluticasone)
Asthma inhalers are commonly stored in purses for easy access during emergency situations. If your dog has chewed and punctured one, then it can result in a life-threatening, acute poisoning. These inhalers contain a large dose of albuterol, which is a beta agonist drug and fluticasone (a steroid). When a dog gets an access to this, they get a direct contact to a massive amount of medication all at once.
Albuterol and steroid poisoning may result into:
- Heart arrhythmias
4. Hand Sanitizer (alcohol)
A hand sanitizer has been our go-to solution when we want to disinfect our hands. It is used to kill germs and contains lots of alcohol (ethanol). When a dog ingests a small bottle of sanitizer, it is equivalent to a shot of hard liquor.
Signs of alcohol poisoning:
- Severe drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Drop in body temperature
- Loss of coordination
- Neurological depression
5. Cigarettes (nicotine)
Not only are these bad for humans, but it is also extremely and equally bad for dogs. A dog can die from ingesting 3 pieces of cigarettes. Chewing tobacco and other products that contain nicotine such as nicotine gum, is toxic to your dog. A dog who ingested a massive amount of nicotine can die in a matter of 15 minutes when not treated immediately.
Signs and results of nicotine poisoning:
- Elevated heart and respiratory rates
- Uncontrolled urination/defecation
- Neurological symptoms
Prevention is better than cure
Be always mindful of your purses especially if it contains some of the items that were previously mentioned. Place your purses where dogs can't access them. You could also hang them by using some heavy-duty hooks or hangers and always make sure that it is properly zippered or snapped closed.