Poisonous Indoor And Outdoor Plants For Dogs

Poisonous Indoor And Outdoor Plants For Dogs

Dogs are naturally curious and can get into virtually anything, may it be a garbage can, cabinet, your closet or your purse. Some pet owners have learned this the hard way, after their pet dog chews up a favourite pair of shoes, or worse, ingested something that is toxic.

Pet proofing your home is really important if you're planning to have pets. Dogs when bored, can chew on anything that it desires. Aside from keeping away the home items that contain toxic ingredients, you should also avoid having plants that are extremely poisonous to your pets when ingested.

Top 5 Poisonous Indoor Plants:

1. English Shamrock (Soluble Calcium Oxalates)

Poisonous Indoor And Outdoor Plants For Dogs

Rhubarb leaves and tropical star fruit are some of the plants that contain soluble calcium oxalates. Soluble calcium oxalates, when ingested by dogs can lead to low calcium concentrations that can be deadly. A formation of calcium oxalates crystals in the kidneys can also happened and it can potentially lead to kidney damage.

 Symptoms of poisoning:

  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Abnormal Urination
  • Loss Of Appetite
  • Tremors
  • Lethargy


2. Araceae Plant Family (Insoluble Calcium Oxalates)

Araceae Plant Family (Insoluble Calcium Oxalates)

Ingestion of insoluble calcium oxalates may cause severe mouth pain, irritation and burning, and drooling. Your dog might also suffer from vomiting. If this happens, offer your dog milk or yogurt to help lessen the symptoms. If your dog continues to show signs of pain, then you should better seek for veterinary help.

Example of plants that contain insoluble calcium oxalates:

  • Dumb cane
  • Calla lily, sweetheart vine, umbrella plant, arrowhead vine, and devil's ivy
  • Caladium


3. Corn Plant/Dragon Tree (Saponins)

Corn Plant/Dragon Tree (Saponins)

Ingesting this plant may lead to drooling, diarrhea, and vomiting. Your dog could also suffer from lethargy and dilated pupils. Typically, symptoms are just minor, but if you're not sure what type of plant you dog has ingested, then better seek veterinary care.


4. Spring Flower Bulbs

Spring Flower Bulbs

The flowers and leaves of popular spring flowers such as daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths, are generally non-toxic, however, consuming the bulb can lead to diarrhea and vomiting.

Consuming a large amount of the bulbs may result to a foreign body obstruction, tremors, low blood pressure, and seizures. 

If you plan to bring spring flower bulbs in your home, then make sure that your dog leaves them alone.


5. Kalanchoe (Cardiac Glycosides)

Kalanchoe (Cardiac Glycosides)

This houseplant is a popular gift because of its bright flowers and succulent leaves, but they contain cardiac glycosides that are extremely toxic to dogs. Consuming this plant may lead to the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Heart Failure
  • Weakness
  • Cardiac Arrhythmias
  • Electrolyte Abnormalities
  • Tremors
  • Seizures 
  • Death


Top 3 Poisonous Outdoor Plants

1. Foxglove (Cardiac Glycosides)

Foxglove (Cardiac Glycosides)

Foxglove plant contains cardiac glycosides that are extremely toxic to dogs and cats. Ingesting this plant may result in cardiac arrhythmias, diarrhea, vomiting, heart failure, weakness, and death. Other outdoor plants that contain cardiac glycosides:

  • Lily of the valley
  • Dogbane
  • Milkweed
  • Oleander


2. Sago Palm (Cyasin)

Sago Palm (Cyasin)

Sago Palm is also known as cardboard palm, cycads, coontie palm, and zamias contain a toxic call cyasin. Cyasim is extremely toxic to dogs and consuming this may lead to the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis
  • Jaundice
  • Bruising
  • Seizures
  • Liver damage
  • Liver failure
  • Death


3. Blue-Green Algae

Blue-Green Algae

Blue-green algae found in ponds and lakes may produce harmful compounds such as microcystins and anatoxins. These compounds are extremely toxic to dogs. Microcystins, when ingested can lead to liver damage or liver failure while anatoxins can result into neurotoxicity.

Consuming this plant can result in death due to respiratory paralysis. Other signs and symptoms of exposure to these toxins are the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Weakness
  • Diarrhea
  • Shock
  • Disorientation
  • Excessive Salivation
  • Jaundice
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Blood in the stool
  • Coma
  • Neurological signs (muscle tremors and paralysis)
  • Blue discoloration of the skin and mucous membranes


Back to blog